Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Eamon Ryan is new leader of the Green Party

Options
  • 27-05-2011 6:10pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 11,299 ✭✭✭✭

One of the more reputable (and I would tentatively suggest, more popular) members of the Green party, Eamon Ryan, was elected as the party's new leader today following the resignation of John Gormley.

http://businessandleadership.com/leadership/item/30371-greens-elect-eamon-ryan-as/

Eamon Ryan will be leading the party in a full time capacity, aims to win one European seat in the next European election, and aims to win "at least" 20 local government seats during the 2014 elections.

Any thoughts on his chances? Anybody know if other members of the party are staying the course with him? Dan Boyle has indicated on twitter that he hopes to stay ''very much to the fore with the Greens'', although he did not specify anything, nor did any of the previously important figures within the Green party contest this leadership vote.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,586 ✭✭✭✭For Forks Sake

later10 wrote: »
    Any thoughts on his chances? Anybody know if other members of the party are staying the course with him? Dan Boyle has indicated on twitter that he hopes to stay ''very much to the fore with the Greens'', although he did not specify anything, nor did any of the previously important figures within the Green party contest this leadership vote.

Dan Boyle is only interested in one thing, and that's Dan Boyle. However the electorate have long since seen through his self-publicising bullsh1t.

The greens are finished, their craven behaviour when in government has ensured they will never be let anywhere near any positions of authority for the foreseeable future.

And good riddance to them.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,498 ✭✭✭touts

One of the more reputable (and I would tentatively suggest, more popular) members of the Green party, Eamon Ryan, was elected as the party's new leader today following the resignation of John Gormley.

http://businessandleadership.com/leadership/item/30371-greens-elect-eamon-ryan-as/

Eamon Ryan will be leading the party in a full time capacity, aims to win one European seat in the next European election, and aims to win "at least" 20 local government seats during the 2014 elections.

Pointless. It's like the remaining officers in the lifeboats of the Titanic banding together to decide who was the new captain.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,675 ✭✭✭beeftotheheels

I think it depends a lot on what happens with the independents. I doubt that the core Green vote is all that strong, the core candidate vote for someone like TS is a bit different so if they run strong candidates then they may do well, but not in an election such as we have just had with a million and one candidates.

Their major problem is losing both their transfer friendliness, and their status as a benign protest vote. I think they can recover that in time, just not sure that the next local or European elections will be long enough for the voter anger to subside.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,086 ✭✭✭Nijmegen

Eamon Ryan is a decent sort of chap, and the Green party is one based at its core around ideals that are far from anything they did in government.

It doesn't excuse their responsibility during this time, but I wish the Green party/movement well in rebuilding on the kind of core issues that are important to them, and many of which are important to us all.

I'd not vote for them, and I'd harbour a lot of resentment - as would many I imagine - to their actions and lack of leadership when in government. But I think they've got their scolding and can now see if they can go back to their roots.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 39,022 ✭✭✭✭Permabear

This post has been deleted.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 19,341 ✭✭✭✭Chucky the tree

I think they should have went with a leader who wasn't part of the Government. The reason the Green party are toxic is because they stood by and propped up FF for so long, they showed no backbone and no support to their core-voters. I fail to see how this Green party will be any different under someone who is in Government allowed this to happen? Are we supposed to believe that Eamonn Ryan and the Green Party have sudenly found a back-bone and if people were to elect them it would somehow be different?

• Registered Users Posts: 201 ✭✭Lefticus Loonaticus

Eamon Ryan is a waffleing pompus pri*k. Id rather have a conversation with Mary Coughlan than him :D.

The Greens could have pulled out of government at any time during the crisis and left us with a bit more room for maneuver. Instead they decided to leave FF in there like an elephant in a china shop while we all watched on aghast.

People will remember the greens in government longer than they have remembered the civil war.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,670 ✭✭✭✭Wolfe Tone

I really liked the greens until they went into bed with FF after they said they wouldn't. Will take a lot to get me to vote for them again, I don't like being made a fool of.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,299 ✭✭✭✭later12

Their major problem is losing both their transfer friendliness, and their status as a benign protest vote. I think they can recover that in time, just not sure that the next local or European elections will be long enough for the voter anger to subside.
    Yes I would think similarly. I was a bit surprised at the interview Ryan gave on Drivetime this evening where he stipulated a minimum of 20 seats in local election - I think that is extremely ambitious considering that the Green seats in local elections have gone 8/ 18/ 3 in 1999/ 2004/ 2009. To my knowledge they have never had more than 18 seats at the height of their popularity, so if Eamon Ryan is trying to change that now, he certainly has an enormous task ahead of him.

On the issue of transfer friendliness I think the voters have reasonably short memories. Lets not forget that the last time that Joan Burton worked in the department of social welfare, she was put there as a minister of the 1992 Fianna Fail Government. While she and her party paid for that coalition with FF in the short term, they recovered their position thereafter, and it is now rarely mentioned.

It is true that the disaster surrounding FF and the Irish financial crisis is different to the Ireland of 1992, but the role of the greens in that affair has not been established as detrimental, and I think it will be a factor of diminishing importance should a major effort for Green recovery come about.

I should qualify that I am not a supporter of the greens, but I do think that we are better off with Green voices in the Oireachtas than without.

Permabear wrote: »
    This post had been deleted.
    This is true, and the greens have never really broken the rural ceiling to their growth. Perhaps if Malcolm Noonan, a Green party executive member and a farmer (who by the way, was only beaten narrowly, apparently) succeeded to the role this might have helped change perceptions.

Nevertheless, the greens know that if anywhere their strength is in urban centres, like the Labour party of the 1990s, and I doubt that rural Ireland will be significantly high on their realistic agenda anyway.

• Advertisement

Wolfe Tone wrote: »
    I really liked the greens until they went into bed with FF after they said they wouldn't. Will take a lot to get me to vote for them again, I don't like being made a fool of.

Is this the voice of retribution I hear??? Surely not! :)

I have to say I think they learned that lesson, so much so that I voted for them this time just gone.

In terms of acts of political naivety I can think of few that would surpass that particular ****-up, but I think it was naivety and the consequences of that decision have now been borne.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,939 ✭✭✭goat2

i thought i would never again hear of them, and was hoping to never hear of them

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,670 ✭✭✭✭Wolfe Tone

Is this the voice of retribution I hear??? Surely not! :)

I have to say I think they learned that lesson, so much so that I voted for them this time just gone.

In terms of acts of political naivety I can think of few that would surpass that particular ****-up, but I think it was naivety and the consequences of that decision have now been borne.
    Haha, they can't be trusted! While I couldn't vote myself back then I persuaded my parents that the green party was the way to go... Egg on my face.

This time out I didn't even give them a preference. Hopefully they will fix things up and sort themselves out because they have some good ideas.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 46,938 ✭✭✭✭Nodin

Unless they actually make the effort to become a party with contacts in the communities most affected by their policies, the best they can hope for is to sneak a seat or two when all other alternatives are deemed unpalatable.

Nodin wrote: »
    Unless they actually make the effort to become a party with contacts in the communities most affected by their policies, the best they can hope for is to sneak a seat or two when all other alternatives are deemed unpalatable.
    Actually, from an objective standpoint, it makes far more logical sense to seek seats in the constituencies beyond where their policies might cause heartache.

It's the same as how conservative parties traditionally attract middle class votes by claiming to tackle welfare scroungers. They're not actually after the votes of welfare scroungers. There is a large market in the urban vote open to the Green party if they can make use of it.

If I were working with the Greens, I would ignore rural Ireland altogether. Just cut it out. And I'd instead re-establish their immediate strengths. The Greens have, don't forget, been a significant political force based almost totally on urban votes in the past.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,160 ✭✭✭Callan57

No chance of avoiding that silly, supercilious smirk then ... I can't abide him. They should have gone back to Trevor he's the only Green with any backbone & the only one who could have saved that Party.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,662 ✭✭✭Zimmerframe

On John Gormley's handover to Eamonn Ryan
    Leonard's Cohen's lyrics seem apt.

"I'm giving you command."
    "Command of what, there's no one here
    There's only you and me --
    All the rest are dead or in retreat......................

• Registered Users Posts: 1,226 ✭✭✭gaffer91

I honestly think the Greens are surplus to requirements in 2011. They have no real "traditional" base, are no longer very transfer friendly, and with no Dail representation it will be very hard for them to get their ideas across. Also all parties are now fully aware of the dangers of environmental damage and climate change and the necessity to find more renewable energy and therefore there is no real need for a party who try and hijack green issues as being solely the concern of their party. All in all, I doubt Ryan will make much difference and I expect them to go the way of the PDs.

One important distinction to make (amongst many) in the Greens vs PDs debate is that PD voters tended to come from the more right wing authoritarian camp whereas Green voters would tend to come from the left wing liberal camp.

I think you'll find the latter camp generally tend to be more forgiving than the former.

One important distinction to make (amongst many) in the Greens vs PDs debate is that PD voters tended to come from the more right wing authoritarian camp whereas Green voters would tend to come from the left wing liberal camp.

I think you'll find the latter camp generally tend to be more forgiving than the former.
    That's true. Even beyond these parties' camps, in the same way that Jacques Delors once said that "you can't easily fall in love with the single market", for the general public it is not quite easy to warm to what might be perceived as the 'cold heart of a conservative'.

I always found it very hard to like the PDs, even though I agreed with their policy on almost everything, whereas there is something benign about voting for muesli-eating-sandal-wearing hippies, almost as though just to encourage them.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,774 ✭✭✭raymon

Greens were accomplices.

They were propping up FF when they were at their most destructive.

Shame on the greens

Shame on FF

raymon wrote: »
    Greens were accomplices.

Shame on the greens

Shame on FF

Honestly, was there any real need to say "shame on FF" there?? Why can't people on boards move on, at least to the point where whey only slag FF off on the threads devoted it to it?? This kind of "shame on FF" stuff is just tedious. (I've been reading boards for a while).

Greens were accomplices.

Oh no, that honor belongs solely to the PDs! The Greens may not have helped with the ending, they are due blame in that.

But the bubble was inflated by FF while the PDs were keeping them in power, 2000 to 2004 was when our income as opposed to transactional tax take was cut while public expenditure went through the roof and property tax incentives were supported while capital gains tax was halved. This is when FF were at their most destructive.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,774 ✭✭✭raymon

gaffer91 wrote: »
    Honestly, was there any real need to say "shame on FF" there?? Why can't people on boards move on, at least to the point where whey only slag FF off on the threads devoted it to it?? This kind of "shame on FF" stuff is just tedious. (I've been reading boards for a while).

I'm sorry but greens should not be given a clean slate .

They share the blame .

I'm sorry but greens should not be given a clean slate .

They share the blame .

I never said they should. My post was entirely about the "shame on FF" comment if you read it again.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 6,376 Mod ✭✭✭✭Macha

This is true, and the greens have never really broken the rural ceiling to their growth. Perhaps if Malcolm Noonan, a Green party executive member and a farmer (who by the way, was only beaten narrowly, apparently) succeeded to the role this might have helped change perceptions.

Nevertheless, the greens know that if anywhere their strength is in urban centres, like the Labour party of the 1990s, and I doubt that rural Ireland will be significantly high on their realistic agenda anyway.
    This is not entirely true. The party has a lot of rural supporters. The problem is the main farming lobby group, ie the IFA is opposed to environmental regulation (and most other forms of regulation) for the same reasons that IBEC is - they think it's bad for business. But the business interests they represent are big agri-business, not the smaller farmer. And the Greens would find a lot more support among those type of farmers than the likes of the Kerry Group.

I can't tell you how many RISE stickers I see on D reg cars parked outside suburban homes in Dublin. The idea that rural people don't support environmental measures is largely a construct of the people who want this to be the case.

Macha wrote: »
    I can't tell you how many RISE stickers I see on D reg cars parked outside suburban homes in Dublin. The idea that rural people don't support environmental measures is largely a construct of the people who want this to be the case.
    But I am not saying that urban people do not support green initiatives and sound environmental policy. Of course they do. It is in these urban centres that the Green party find their support. Support from the rural ballot boxes is, at best, scant.

Tell me if you see a trend here.

Carlow-Kilkenny,
    Dun Laoghaire,
    Dublin Mid West,
    Dublin South East,
    Dublin South
    and Dublin North?

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 6,376 Mod ✭✭✭✭Macha

No arguing with you there. Mary White was the 1st Green TD from a rural constituency.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,163 ✭✭✭✭Liam Byrne

This is not entirely true. The party has a lot of rural supporters.

Well I'm not one of them, given that all they want to do is raid my pocket and they refuse point-blank to offer alternatives.

That and the propping up of FF - as well as their two-faced reversed vote on NAMA - mean that I corrected my mistake from giving them a vote in the past at the last election, and that combined with their bigoted approach ensures that they will never get a vote from me again.

• Advertisement

No arguing with you there. Mary White was the 1st Green TD from a rural constituency.
    A broadly rural constituency with one city and a reasonably important commuter town - and do you know where her ballots came from?

Advertisement